Thread: Shane Doan
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm the last person to provide excuses for others, but it's been a long tough year for Shane Doan on this team. There was all of the talk last year about the team moving, the bankruptcy trial over the summer and talk of relocation, and now the new owners. With the turmoil that has surrounded this franchise over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if it got to him -- especially since he has a young family he has raised here. Add to that it's an Olympic year, which he usually plays too tight until announced to the team, and I think it's a good explanation.
I tend to agree with you. I actually think Doan is trying way too hard. He over commits, he sometimes puts his head down leaving the defensive zone and misses a pass. Doan kills shots every chance he gets like maybe he can just put one through the goalie. He has no patience at all. I think, if anything, Doan needs to settle down and try to just play the game. Let the offense come to him, play the system and hit somebody. Every slow start he ever had, I'd hear him talk about -- and execute on -- playing a simpler game. Once he did that he would be a force on every shift, scoring chance or not. Then, when there was an opening, he would start making plays. And those openings would come too, because he needs to play that simple game to open up the ice and then use that opening to make a play and not the other way around.

The thing that worries me the most is that you usually hear him talk about being kind of frustrated offensively and needing to simplify his game by now. Instead he just seems to be getting more frustrated and squeezing his stick even tighter. I can only imagine between the off-season and the Olympics coming up that he feels the pressure and isn't letting himself reset even if that is likely the only thing that will really get him going again.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote