View Single Post
Old
12-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Moobles

vCash: 500
Depends on how religious the Sikh person is. As you can imagine there are tons of Sikh people and so many different variants of Sikhism it almost entirely depends on the person.

Generally most liberal Sikhs who still keep kesh will wear just a smaller pagri under their helmet. Some Sikhs who keep kesh might not care to have their long hair fall down and just might not wear anything. More orthodox Sikhs I imagine would refuse to wear a helmet on the basis they couldn't with their dastar on. I imagine if one ever makes the NHL there will be problems: however, a work-around might be to actually wear the helmet shell inside the dastar and simply tie around it (very complicated if you've ever put one on, but certainly possible). Would look really interesting .

Some Sikhs I imagine who are very religious and would not accept not wearing a dastar at all probably have a difficult time playing hockey, but they aren't a very large number. The two Punjabi broadcasters for CBC basically sum up what I'd see as the most common solution:

Quote:
The need to wear a turban has often been seen as a barrier to Sikhs playing hockey, but the Singhs don't see it that way. "Both Parminder and I have played ice hockey," said Harnarayan. "You just have a smaller version of a turban that fits underneath the helmet. It's a snug fit. It probably offers more protection."
I actually imagine it does, thinking about it now. Would love to see that tested. Full link here, about half-way down the page. Going to be very interesting over the next 20-yearsish as more South Asians enter the NHL. Muslims celebrating Ramadan (and then Eid ) and Sikhs with the dastar will certainly have to find work-arounds to the NHL, but I believe it is quite possible.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote