Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Elkins, Martinez, Moller and Parse
View Single Post
Old
12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You make some good pts but my point regarding the faceoff circle is that we don't have a good faceoff man. Stoll was injured so I don't see how he could have taken that draw? do you? Therefore, down to Handzus and Kopitar and I guess Murray decided to go with Kopi...
As for his value I guess we can agree to disagree but I don't see him having a role on this team especially at 4 million after this contract.
I am not all down on him either as I said he has done some timely things for us this year... i just feel at his price..no thanks..
To the thread, I was pretty impressed with Elkins so far... Hope to see him again before years end...
Well, Kopi was put out there because of who he was. Zues was the best to take the draw in that situation because he knows how to better utilize his size and physicality on the draw, but Murray believes those risks are necessary to give Kopitar the experience he needs. Which I tend to agree with, Kopitar is our first line center for the better part of the next decade, we need him out there during key moments and he will be taking key faceoffs throughout his entire career, it is probably best to get through his jitters and mistakes in the circle now.

My only point with Zeus is that you make it out to sound like he is a disappointment, is overpayed, is a liability in the defensive zone, particularly due to speed, and that he can't put up his offensive numbers anymore; however, Zues is playing as advertised and he is doing it entirely on the third line, playing against top opposition, with youngsters. His 42 points last season was on par with his entire career prior. I think it is safe to say that we have the old-school Handzus that we paid $4 million for. Zues is a more offensively gifted John Madden, and even he is still making near $3 million being 36, on the decline, and having to take a discount with Chicago.

As for his contract, his price doesn't really matter this season. We have to room to pay him and he is doing the job he was paid to do. I echo your sentiments about not wanting to re-sign him to $4 million. I don't think that would work out either, but I would be very happy to let him play through the rest of his contract even if we got nothing in return for him walking, especially if we are a contender. He is a priceless playoff commodity, knows how to play clutch and shuts down top lines of the opposition, and has quite a bit of playoff experience. I would re-sign him to a long-term $2.75 million like Madden's, so that he can finish his career in LA on our third line, in a heartbeat if he were interested at the end of his current contract.

I also agree that Elkins was intriguing and I hope to see a little more of him in the future as well.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote