View Single Post
Old
12-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
The hockeyinvasion worries the National Team Manager

The flow of foreign NHL-players to the SEL contiues. When the transfer window closed this week ten new foreign players had found new SEL-teams. It makes the National Team Manages Claes Göran Wallin worried.
- Do we have any national team if this contiues?, he questioned.

The bad things about the foreign stars in the SEL is obvious. The National Teams.
In the preperations for the upcoming WJC the coach Torgy Bendelin have complained about the NHL-conflict that have limited the playing time for the juniors in the SEL. But also the A National Team has been affected.

When the SEL starts up after Christmas there are 81 foreign players in the 12 SEL teams, 30 of them are lockout players. A total of 54 lockout players are playing in the SEL, and most of them are foreigners.

Wallin hopes the teams will give more time to the swedes.
- If the work stoppage continues over there, i hope the teams bring home the swedish stars when the new transfer window opens (at the end of January). This season is difficult to get summary of, but I wonder if we have a National Team if this continues, Wallin stated.

Wallin don't dislike the NHL-players, but says there must be a limit.

- When Marty Turco left Djurgården and Björn Bjurling was given the opportunity to play he showed work with his stick around the crease that I've never seen before. Of course the foreigners bring many good things to the SEL.

Even if Bjurling was lightened up by the north american influences is uncertain if he'll get any playing time after christmas. Djurgården recently signed Jose Theodore, who 2001-02 was named NHL:s best goaltender and most valuable player. Therefore, a new swede most likley will have to sit on the bench.

Are you worried for the national team?
-Let's see what happens before we say anything. But everything has a limit, and that limit is here now, Wallin says.

Robertsson 4-ever is offline   Reply With Quote