View Single Post
Old
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
If Carter was giving inklings that he was trying to be slightly more creative with the puck rather than shooting it from awful angles at the logo, then I'd give you that he has the potential to turn things around. Right now I can't imagine an opposing scout sees too much to like with his play.

Giroux I will give you as started to slowly turn it around.

However, Kovy is an established superstar. You have to give quality to get quality, plus we need to shed Carter's 5 mil salary. I would think that Atlanta would balk at Giroux/Carter alone.
Of course they would. I'm just asking the question how much do we really gain by trading two of our best offensive players for one guy? If we're talking Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, then yeah you do it. You're taking on a ****load of salary for, potentially, a decrease in the total goals you score.

If Carter can score 46 and look like 50 is well within reach, and Giroux develops into even a 60 point player, what do you gain by paying Kovalchuk $10M? I think you gain a superstar but lose depth, important cap space, our only centre with size, and you end up losing goals - and you don't have the cap money to just pick up someone else to replace those goals.

...nevermind the idea of throwing in JVR.

We sacrificed offensive depth for Pronger this year and I think it's a contributing factor to sucking. Carter and Richards aren't good enough to carry teams offensively - they need help. But that's where we should be able to beat the Capitals and Pens - we can afford depth. Don't trade more of it away for one big-ticket player. Too many people are obsessed with this idea of superstars right now. We need this team to come together and play as a team.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote