Thread: Trade Proposal
View Single Post
Old
09-23-2003, 08:46 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Ok folks, I know that most of you would rather keep Havlat and heck, so would I. But if you are forced to trade him (speaking just hypothetically), how does this trade sound?

From Philly:

Justin Williams and Dennis Seidenberg

From Ottawa:

Havlat

I think this is a win/win situation.

You have to take into consideration the fact that, if Havlat is traded, you're not going to get Havlat back. In other words, you're not going to get a player of equal value back. But Justin Williams is a young, talented forward capable of being a top 6, and Dennis Seidenberg has a nice shot and projects to be a good 4th dman. The Flyers have a dirth of D prospects, so they unload one here and improve slightly at the forward position.
Assuming that we decide to put Havlat on the block, I would still pass on this deal. Williams has never really excited me at all. Seidenberg is a better prospect than our current guys (Platil, Schubert, etc.) and is pretty close to being an NHL regular right now, but I don't see him being a huge help to us. Our D is pretty young, and the number of guys he has to leap frog on our depth chart to get a permananent spot on our line-up is too much.

If we were to trade Havlat, I would hold out for more than this. I may not expect a Havlat player in return, but I would expect more than Williams. There isn't much more on the Philly roster that would interest me, other than Gagne, who Philly would likely balk at.

On another note, I don't see Havlat being traded over this. I'm just playing along for the purposes of trade talk.