View Single Post
Old
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The outlaw country movement of the 1960s is entirely removed from the Nashville scene that dominates music today. I could go into a long explanation of the many, many reasons why but, seriously, just take my word for it. Corporate Nashville has dominated country music since the 1980s and very little remains as to what country music once was. Sure, there are still some amazing alt-country acts (Ryan Adams, Wilco) but mainstream country is just, well, vapid. It's popular for the same reason that Nickelback is... it appeals to the lowest common denominator and doesn't require much brain power.

And, to be honest, and I'm not trying to be mean, but if you think that Johnny Cash just sang about stereotypically country topics then you aren't well-versed in his songwriting style or career.
Well said Val. Taylor Swift and all her ilk? Please... pure, unadulterated crap.

Most of Cash's songs (and most of the best songs of any genre) are stories - based on love or love gone wrong.

I can think of one country song in the past 20 years that refers to a tractor. One.

You guys need to research some Waylon, Merle, Hank, even Kristoffersen, and get back to me and tell me about tractors.