View Single Post
Old
12-26-2009, 01:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Ok, this be my '25 songs from 2009 you should really check out". If I went into my actual top 25, I'd be pulling out lots of deep tracks, and I'm trying to keep this at a point where people may have come across a song, without having actually listened to the album (although a few of these I couldn't resist, in which case you should hear it in addition).

Totally could have went more. Can't believe some bands I'm leaving out.

This is only in Alphabetical order. Name of the Album in italics, song is bold. Counter is what I have on my iPod/Wikipedia.

1. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp - Odd Blood - (4:00)

Album will be out in 2010, but this was a free digital release on November 3. Hopefully the album will be just as ridiculous as this song is.

2. Sunset Rubdown - Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh! - Dragonslayer (5:24)

This song just makes me keep wanting to repeat "Anna Anna Anna Oh! Why'd she change her name?" I mean, they keep repeating it...

3. The Sounds - Beatbox - Crossing the Rubicon (4:03)

The video itself is not what Sounds fans are accustomed to, but the song is high-powered.

4. Animal Collective - Bluish - Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:16)

Unlike any love song you've ever heard or will ever hear.

5. Electric Six - Body Shot - KILL - (3:46)

Real video NSFW.

6. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Don't Haunt This Place - Hometowns (2:37)

Album released in 2008. And then again in 2009 on an actual record label.

7. Lily Allen - Everyone's At It - It's Not Me, It's You - (4:19)

The normally "cheeky" Lily Allen (as Josh T. Landow put it), gets serious about abuse of prescription drugs. And it's pretty awesome.

8. The Temper Trap - Fader - Conditions - (3:12)

The song best known is "Sweet Dispostion" (also heard on (500) Days of Summer), but as I find this above everything else on the album.

9. Metric - Gold, Guns, Girls - Fantasies - (4:06)

One listen and I'm ready to run through walls.

10. The Raveonettes - Gone Forever - In and Out of Control - (3:36)

I was at this show (for real - this show in the YT). They have some other songs I would have liked to link (but can't due to some language), but this is still awesome -- and I was at this show.

11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll - It's Blitz! - (3:42)

Pretty sure it's my favorite song of the year. It's angry and violent. Which, I'm sure to some, a lot of people here think I am.

12. Metric - Help, I'm Alive - Fantasies

First single off the album, the song begins immediate resonating within your mind with Emily Haines' opening lyric "I tremble."

13. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Home - Up From Below - (5:03)

Just came across this YT of the song, and I thought it was cool. The two lead singers appear to be polar opposite in personalities. The track off the album sounds very retro. Like Bob Dylan-retro. Although the looks of the store they were in, there may band itself may have outdrew the audience. Nora Kirkpatrick (tambourine girl) could pass for Kirsten Dunst.

14. Camera Obscura - Honey in the Sun - My Maudlin Career - (5:44)

The vintage-style production of the video suits the song and style very well.

15. The Whigs - In the Dark - In the Dark - (3:24)

The album itself won't be out until March of 2010, but the song was released in October as a free download (they've got another on their website, you can download both).

16. The xx - Islands - xx - (2:41)

Based on the video, I'm assuming that this is more along the lines of what we can expect from The xx in the future.

17. Silversun Pickups - It's Nice to Know You Work Alone - Swoon - (4:45)

Josh T. Landow's #1 song of the year makes my list.

18. Phoenix - Lisztomania - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - (4:09)

1901 is a decent song by them, but this is the song that hooked me into Phoenix.

19. Passion Pit - Little Secrets - Manners - (3:59)

Higher and Higher and Higher....Higher and Higher and Higher

20. Animal Collective - My Girls - Merriweather Post Pavillion - (5:43)

Chrous itself could be the best of the year. Video looks good for late night viewing after doing some things you probably shouldn't have.

21. The Sounds - My Lover - Crossing the Rubicon - (4:24)

Seeing the song live, with Maja Ivarsson like 10 feet in front of me standing on top of an amp, pretty much got it on the list.

22. Tegan and Sara - On Directing - Sainthood - (2:47)

I posted just the song with the album cover in the last thread, this is cool. However, this version is hilarious. Especially if any of you are from Calgary.

23. The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother - Horehound - (4:10)

Jack White is awesome. And how great is the video?

24. Grizzly Bear - While You Wait for the Others - Veckatimest - 4:29

Another second-single off the album. Pitchfork gave it 10/10

25. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero - It's Blitz! - (4:26)

It lead track on the album, and it sets the album itself up for domination.

Please don't quote the entire post...

Last edited by GKJ: 12-26-2009 at 01:17 AM.