View Single Post
Old
12-26-2009, 07:07 AM
hendextall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
while technically your logic is sound, you forget that this isn't arbitration. It doesn't matter what benchmark gainey has to use, he's not playing against pleks here, he's playing against the other gm's of the league. If the popular opinion is that some GM is gonna throw 6/year at him, he'll probably walk unless Bob matches. Now i don't think bob SHOULD match at such a high price, but then we're without a real #1 center again, and our team looks like garbage for years until maxwell or leblanc come knocking.
Well Savard signed that contract knowing he could probably get more if he waited for his contract to expire. I know loyalty isn't what it used to be, but I still believe that most players that are given a fair offer will re-sign with their team as long as they are happy there. Free agents most of the time are free agents because the team decided didn't want or couldn't afford the player anymore.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the ball is in Bob's court here. If he makes a fair offer to Pleks, sooner rather than later, I think he will sign. And I believe he definitely would in the $4-5 million range. Remember, Pleks thought he got more than he deserved last year, maybe he will return the favour.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote