View Single Post
Old
12-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
I'm a 17 year old from Monoeville, PA (about 15 min from Pittsburgh). I loved hockey all my life and played some deck hockey. Anyway, I want to start skating and playing. I'm looking at buying skates sometime this week (Vapor SFL VII). I was wondering what my options are. I'm going to college next year, so obviously playing with a school team is out of the question. Are there any decent beginner type leagues generally? I'm about 5'9 and only 145... so I think I would get knocked around quite a bit in an adult league or something.
Most colleges have an intramural league that anybody at the school can play in, that's something you should definitely look into. If the school you're going to be going to doesn't have an intramural league, you can always join an adult league and you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to join nomatter how much you suck, as long as you can skate you can play. Starting hockey at an older age like 17 has it's disadvantages because most adult leagues do not have coaches or organized practices, so you're left to pretty much learn everything on your own. I'm not sure how much of a beginner you are, but if you're a true beginner starting from scratch, i'd highly recommend taking some hockey lessons at your local rink. Once you learn the basic fundamentals you can start going to open hockey and work on everything. You said you wanted to start skating so I assume you've never really skated much if at all so you'll need to learn to skate, i'd highly recommend going to public skating at your local rink every single day. Also if there are any stick & puck's near you, definitely go to those to work on your stick handling and shooting. Don't worry about getting knocked around, like hokegoalie said above, most adult leagues have no checking at all and there is very little contact, the most contact you'll see in an adult league is battling for position in front of the net or something. It's awesome being able to carry the puck up the boards not having to worry about getting decked .