View Single Post
Old
09-23-2003, 10:02 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
First things first, in the career year you are referring to, Radek Bonk played 1472:25 minutes and had 265:51 minutes of PP time. Legwand, in his career year had 1231:16 minutes and 301:17 of PP time. Bonk was 26, Legwand was 22.
When Bonk was Legwand's age ('99-'00), he put up 23g,37a,60points. So it brings up the question-- does one automatically assume that a player's point production will increase with age? Bonk has stayed at more or less the same level for the past 4 years. Other people, like Jason Arnott, have dropped off considerably as their age has increased. Arnott scored 33 goals his rookie year, and hasn't hit 30 since. So I don't think that you can automically assume that one's point production will increase with age.
Quote:
I disagree. Reasoner is not a very good hockey player. There is a reason he had so little ice time last year. He was behind Marchant, Comrie, and York. His numbers are OK, but not good. And in Edmonton's offensive system (compared to Nashville), he's numbers really glare at you. Legwand is a superior player now and will likely continue to be. Your last sentence kills me. If that was true, surely one of the 30 GM's (and the 90+ coaches and the 200+ scouts and...) in the league would have picked up on it, made Reasoner their 1st or 2nd line center and made him a player again.
Reasoner IS a good hockey player. The same 90+ coaches and 200+ scouts that didn't pick him up in the wavier draft, are the same 90+ coaches and 200+ scouts that overlooked guys like Martin St.Louis, Eric Bougnecki, Todd White, etc. Reasoner played well this year, especially considering his limited ice time. Ask any Edmonton fan. I guarantee that he wouldn't pass through waviers now. Similarly, Legwand played well this year, BUT, I don't see him turning into the "great" player people are projecting him to be.

I'm not basing my opinion on numbers. I'm basing it on what I see. I just don't see any dominant qualities in Legwand. I disagree that he has a "great" shot. He has absoutley NO slapshot. I don't think he's ever scored a one-time goal in his life. He can't get off his wrist shot unless he has a lot of room and space. I'd say that Johansson, Arkhipov, and Hartnell all have better shots. IMO, a number of Legwand's goals last year were due to "good bounces." His puck control skills are average, the most noteable weakness being his propensity to get knocked off the puck easily. His one-on-one skills aren't anywhere close to "dominant."

On the other hand, I believe Modano to be a dominant player. His shot is lethal. He can get it off in hardly anytime at all. His one-timer is deadly. It's extremely hard to get the puck away from him. He has excellent puck control skills. He's not knocked off the puck easily. His one-on-one moves are game-breaking.

You have your right to your opinion, as I do to mine. I really do think that Legwand will eventually be labeled as a disappointment by Predator fans. Not that he won't be a good hockey player, but that he will never be the game-breaking, dominant player many are projecting him to be.