View Single Post
Old
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Again, I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to reopen the "tanking" debate. I'm more interested to see what you guys think/know about current players awareness of upcoming prospects and if/how this knowledge might affect their play.
Players are often aware of up and coming players, specifically if they have "alumni" ties to them. Just the other night, during the US WJC broadcast, the announcers were discussing how a lot of Shattuck alums (Parise, Toews,etc) were often in touch with guys like Stepan, who is also an alum of SSM. We know Drury was aware of Gilroy given the BU connection, and it's pretty widespread around the league. Certainly with NCAA alumni, but with the CHL and European junior leagues too. There's also the hometown connections. A lot of these guys, especially Canadians, come from small towns where they keep tabs on the local teams.

Now, I don't think players are thinking to themselves, "Yeah, maybe we should half-ass it so we can get Taylor Hall." These guys are still professional athletes, and despite what many people seem to think, nobody likes losing and nobody takes a losing season lightly. A losing season often results in personnel changes, so why would a guy get on the "tank train" when a lottery finish might cost him his job? I don't think any player is going to value the addition of Hall, Stamkos, or Tavares to their team more than their own livelihood.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote