View Single Post
Old
01-01-2010, 10:31 AM
MaxV

vCash: 500
Chemistry was definitely a factor for Bykov when he was selecting the rosters. Every line will probably have at least 2 players that are playing with each other on their respective clubs.

Our depth is underrated, but it's far from spectacular. KHLers can play, but none of them are on the same level as Ovechkin, Malkin or Kovalchuk. Still, I'm hoping and expecting to see a good performance out of our KHL players.

With that being said, it's not like Canada has a star in every position. I would still put Canada as the favorites, but I don't think we are far behind.

The only real questions about our forwards are really with Kozlov and Fedorov. Both are very skilled but aging players. I hope they play well.

I would say the biggest question facing our team is defensive depth (as is the case most of them time with Team Russia). Our top 4 defensemen (Markov, Gonchar, Nikulin and Volchenkov) are all good but, after that, there is a bit of a drop-off.

I haven't been impressed with Grebeshkov this season. I thought he would develop into a fine NHL D-man by now, but he is still inconsistent. I hope he brings his 'A' game for the Olympics.

Personally, I like Tyutin more. He brings a tougher, more defensively-responsible game then Grebs. He is a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of player. Meaning, that he isn't great in any of the facets of the game, but he isn't a liability in any of them either. He has ability to play both on PP and PK and isn't a bad 5-on-5 player either.

I'm not a fan of Kalinin, but I understand his selection. He seems to play at his best with the NT. I hope that continues in the OG.

Korneyev is a fine KHL player and he played very well in WHC two years ago. He's not a great player, but he is skilled and seems to play with good determination with the NT.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote