View Single Post
Old
01-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's easier to be considered a smarter player when, on a nightly basis, you demonstrate the ability to understand the game at a higher level than the other guy, which Callahan does.

If anything, the gap is closing. I'm a fan of both players, but Dubinsky isn't doing anything to show that he's got another level. It's disappointing, but it's the case, despite his little point streak that he's on.

Factor in that Dubinsky will have more value in a trade because of his reputation and, personally, the decision is easy to me. I'd rather hold on to the great third liner than the average second liner, especially when the average second liner will bring back a bigger return.

Callahan is already one of the NHL's best in his role. Dubinsky, you're not even sure what you get out of him on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes he looks like a legit top 6 forward, and other nights he looks like he belongs on the third line. There's only so long that this pattern can continue before you start to wonder what's going to happen with the guy.

I'd rather hold on to both, but I understand that Dubinsky is one of the few pieces on this team that could have any major value. To get something good, he's probably going to have to go.
Id rather hold on to both too. I've said repeatedly that, if this was actually a good team with solid personnel, Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan would probably be one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL. But I do think you're selling Dubinsky short here, which is strange because you go on to admit that Dubinsky has more value than Callahan on the trade market, which I agree with.

I also agree that Dubinsky is pretty inconsistent, but I think that has something to do with having much more on his plate than Callahan. Callahan has settled nicely into his 3rd liners role, and hes counted on to play energetic/physical hockey every night. At this point, any offensive contribution from him is pretty much considered a bonus.

I think Dubinsky could be just as successful in that role, but he plays with Gaborik and is expected to make plays and contribute offensively, and hes been doing it pretty damn well lately on a team that couldnt score in a whorehouse.

Dont get me wrong, I like Callahan. Hes an excellent 3rd liner. But he also handles the puck like its a hand grenade and has tunnel vision on the ice. I fail to see why Dubinsky receives the flack when hes a 2nd/3rd line tweener trying to reach his ceiling of a top 6 forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote