Thread: Larry Brooks: Tortorella must unleash Avery
View Single Post
Old
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Avery has been bringing more to the game each night than most of our other forwards, but his inability to finish is becoming a problem. He's never been a natural scorer, but he's a guy you should be able to count on to pot 15-20 goals over 82 games. Right now he's not even close. So I disagree that he hasn't done a damn thing, but agree that he needs to step it the hell up.

Not really buying the "Torts neutered him" argument, either. Tortorella doesn't want him taking copious amounts of stupid penalties, which is certainly reasonable. If Avery can't hone it in *thismuch* and still be effective, then that's a problem.
He is definately bringing grit and tenacity in each game. But his offensive abilities have been woeful this year. He turns over the puck a ton, and he has missed as many wide open chances as Higgy in front of the net.

Like I said, if he buries half these chances, this article doesn't get written. Brooks just needs a scapegoat as to why is golden boy isn't doing much offensively these days.

edit: you are completely right in your second paragraph.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote