View Single Post
Old
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Brandinho

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
The Olympic game, if I am not mistaken, is played with European rules, meaning that the game is more up tempo, so clearly it was the smart decision by Burke to pass up mobile, puck moving dmen like Carle and Goligoski in favor OF defenseman like Johnson, Komisarek and Orpik who are too slow for the NHL as it is...
Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Brooks Orpik is a better skater than Alex Goligoski will ever be. Too slow for the NHL? Ummm...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
The most confusing thing to me about Orpik, and especially Komo, being selected ahead of Carle is that the games are on international rinks. Orpik and Komo specialize in play in their own end, being nasty on the boards, nasty in front of the net, etc.

That kind of style is great for the NHL and especially NHL playoffs, it's not so great for international play where board battles aren't as much as a factor and the ability to move the puck and be comfortable with the puck in your own end is much more important.
Okay, I'm starting to think that many of you simply aren't familiar with Orpik's game at all. He isn't an offensive dynamo but he's perfectly capable of carrying the puck and he's a fantastic skater. Hell, the whole reason that he was such a highly touted prospect was because he combined size and skating ability like few others. He's the PERFECT style of defenseman for this kind of tournament. Big and strong enough to handle a physical team like Canada and sleek and agile enough to handle a finesse team like Russia.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote