View Single Post
Old
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Completely. I don't even know how Montreal homers could have liked him. Okay, he was physical. That's all he brought to the table.

BTW, since I'm here, I figured I'd ask a question about Carle. It's fantasy-oriented, since he's on a keeper roster of mine, but it's also a matter of curiosity in general. He's always been touted as a very good offensive defenseman but aside from one year in San Jose, his stats have never matched his reputation. I can tell from watching him that he has skill but I don't see him frequently enough to understand why it only seems to manifest in bursts where he'll put up a PPG+ for 5 or 6 games and then do nothing for 10 or 15. Of course, he's a young guy and there's a growth and maturation process that you'd have to expect but he's seemed to regress considerably since his first full season.
I really like the guy (took a lot of heat for it last year), but I'd be really surprised if he ever broke 45 points.

I think he has good puckmoving and stickhandling skills, but his shot is nothing to write home about and he's pretty slow which hinders his ability to get up and join the rush.

The common denominator for almost all d-men who put up a lot of points is a good shot. A good shot scores goals and also creates rebounds and tip chances that lead to assists. Carle doesn't have that, plus he plays with Pronger, so Pronger's the one on that pairing doing most of the shooting.

I think he'll put up 35-40 points and a pretty good +/-, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite offensive d-man.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote