View Single Post
Old
01-05-2010, 03:58 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Stan Fischler's Player Ratings From 1987

Among the books I recently came across was a book called "Breakaway 87-88: The Hockey Almanac: A revolutionary look at the world's most exciting sport".

It's going to the "sell" pile, but before it does, I had to share these player ratings in here as they caught my eye, and then raised my eyebrows.

In case you question how he came to these conclusions, I included his definitions of all the attributes as well.

I don't even know where to begin. I mean, I don't mean to nitpick, but:

- These ratings would have you believe Reijo Ruotsalainen was the best defenseman in the NHL.
- Gretzky, a 10 in physical play?
- Denis Savard, a 10 in backchecking? He was the only forward in the NHL to earn this rating. Only Russ Courtnall, Glenn Anderson and Mark Messier earned a 9. Bob Gainey was a 6.
- 10 ratings for passing? Charlie Simmer, Michel Goulet, Rick Vaive, Mike Bossy, Pierre larouche, Tomas Sandstrom, Tim Kerr, Jari Kurri. Wayne Gretzky recived an 8.
- I think Paul Coffey's defensive abilities are generally underrated, but... a 10 in slot coverage? He and ruotsalainen are the only two defensemen to receive a 10. Kevin Lowe, defensive stalwart, earns a 5. harold Snepsts, who was only in the NHL for skills like this, earns a 4.
- Mike Ramsey, a 9 in speed? Paul Coffey, a 4? larry Robinson and Kevin Lowe are the only defensemen deemed as fast as Ramsey, and only Al Iafrate (?!?), Ron Greschner, Doug Crossman, and Rod Langway are as "slow" as Coffey.
- Brad Marsh scores an 8 in speed! ....and with that, I think I've said enough.

Enjoy the laughs, boys. Feel free to point out some inaccuracies as well.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote