View Single Post
Old
09-23-2003, 04:32 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
I doubt that Simpson is going to sit most nights. He's better than you guys give him credit for even though he's been on the 3rd pairing almost his entire stay in PHX. I'd dress Simpson over Suchy or Hulse (or Wilson) on any given day.
I agree with almost everything else you've said though.
Given Wilson's history of shying away from physical contact and Simpson's penchant for it, you're probably right. You can almost see my opinion changing from positive to negative as you read my last piece. I can see what Barnett is doing, I just don't know if there is a bandaid that is going to get this team into the playoffs. I really think our defense is at least a year away from being a detrimental factor to our playoff aspirations. The positive comments and minutes played by Tanabe are encouraging but what happens if he or one of Mara, Vaananen, or Ference goes down? The alternatives (Wilson, Hulse, etc.) are not that attractive (at least in the short-term). They can play but they won't carry the team. Simpson is better than I give him credit for. He's a good d man and he holds some trade value. However, I don't think we can afford to give him up. That's one bandaid that we need.