View Single Post
Old
01-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Daigle was hyped long before the Sens ever came along.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make in the rest of your post. You show that minor league stats mean nothing in terms of NHL potential which is true... and then argue that Crosby is better because he scored more than Daigle. I agree with your opinion, but your argument doesn't necessarily support that. You did a lot of work for nothing.
Daigle was far from a consensus Number 1 pick that year. IIRC many scouts and prospect services had Chris Pronger, Chris Gratton, Paul Kariya, Rob Niedermayer, Viktor Kozlov and even Jason Arnott rated ahead of Daigle.

Look at the first round that year - it was incredibly deep with top flight talent (and the second round had some real keepers as well):
Alexandre Daigle
Chris Pronger
Chris Gratton
Paul Kariya
Rob Niedermayer
Viktor Kozlov
Jason Arnott
Niklas Sundstrom
Todd Harvey
Jocelyn Thibault
Brendan Witt
Kenny Jonsson
Denis Pederson
Adam Deadmarsh
Mats Lindgren
Nick Stajduhar
Jason Allison
Jesper Mattsson
Landon Wilson
Mike Wilson
Saku Koivu
Anders Eriksson
Todd Bertuzzi
Eric Lecompte
Kevyn Adams
Stefan Bergkvist

Where did I say junior stats mean nothing?

The point was as a 16 year old Crosby led his junior league in scoring - something not accomplished by Gretzky, Lemieux nor Daigle did and Crosby is likely to do so again. In fact only Lemieux won a scoring title and that was in his third year of junior.

I am unaware of anyone doing that in any of the major junior leagues in history (but I am open to correction on that if anyone has better information). To me that demonstrates superiority over your peers over a significant time frame (two seasons).