Old
01-06-2010, 06:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
1. Someone explain to me why Hornqvist isnt on the top line instead of Dumont
In Dumont's defense, he seemed like the only forward on that line that knew how to forecheck for most of the night. But I would readily swap Sullivan for Hornqvist on the top line.

I want our lines to look like this:

Hornqvist-Arnott-Dumont
Sullivan-Legwand-Ward
Jones-Goc-Santorelli
Thuresson-Spaling-Olvecky/Guite

And when we get healthy:

Dumont-Arnott-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Sullivan
Jones-Goc-Tootoo
Thuresson-Smithson-Spaling

It's a very offensive-minded lineup, granted, but isn't that kind of why we have forwards in the first place?

Quote:
2. Someone explain to me what that 2nd PP unit was all about
Turning the puck over and killing any momentum we might have generated from an awesome shift by the first unit?

Quote:
3. Someone explain to me what Klein and Belak bring to the table
Trotz is abusing Belak. With McGrattan out, he should have sat Belak, but he didn't have the foresight to think that McGrattan might not play, so we had no extra forward to swap out for him and, thus, were forced to play Belak.

Sulzer should have played over Klein, I agree.

Quote:
4. Someone explain to me why the guy in front of me has to lean forward all game and why the guy behind me cant shut up
Because they're excited about watching the greatest sport on Earth?

I thought Santorelli looked completely out of place regardless of what line he was put on, and needs to get sent back down ASAP. The whole "shut-down line" looked flat, and I thought Legwand had his worst game in a while. We made entirely too many drop passes (Sullivan, Legwand, and Dumont were particularly bad about it), and have a bad habit of giving the puck to Weber when he's marked but not when he's wide open at the point.

Tip of the hat to Jones, I was very impressed with his game last night. He didn't generate much offense, but he brought the physical play to what his historically a very physical team. Now we need at least eight other forwards and at two more defensemen to play like that.

On the flip side, Calgary was just about perfect defensively. They stifled us in the neutral zone, won all the small battles, and blocked all our best scoring chances. We barely ever challenged Kiprusoff, although we scored when we did. Speaking of which, what a fantastic goal by Hornqvist. He had virtually nothing to shoot at, at a bad angle, and he just floated it up high. He's now tied for the team lead in goals.

This was a game both teams needed to win, and Calgary came out ready for it. Fortunately, we have the worst team in hockey coming into the building on Thursday night, so we should be able to bounce back strong and stay ahead of the Red Wings. We'll need Vancouver to beat Phoenix and Detroit to beat LA, but we can get back to 6th with a win on Thursday.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote