Thread: Rumor: Rangers-Oilers (Cogliano)
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't make a habit of counting. A lot more than you did, apparently.
I highly doubt that.

Quote:
- Consistency and Higgins are not words that go together.
3 20+ goal seasons in a row = consistent - regardless of what YOUR definition is.

Quote:
- I don't like him? Where did I say that? My liking him has no bearing on his value as compared to O' Sullivan, or Cole or Williams (i.e. other players who were dealt for O'Sullivan). That's why his name was brought up. That's also when you interjected and made this a conversation about Higgins and began comparing him to Adam Graves and Tony Amonte.
No, I didn't compare him to Graves and Amonte. I said that players have had "off" years that aren't necessarily indicative of their play over a career. I didn't compare them as players, I compared them as relative numbers.

Quote:
- You want to talk about BS? Here's some BS for you: rough start, rough year, snakebit. These are cliches you are using in lieu of actually trying to analyze the matter at hand, probably because that's a little too in depth for you.
As opposed to BS your spouting? He had good line mates? He was spoon fed 20+ goals/year for three consecutive years? Koivu's career high point total is 75. He had 50, 56, 75, & 62 points in the years Higgins was there - those numbers were similar to Gomez' last year and EVERYONE couldn't wait to run him out of town. Higgins wasn't playing with Crosby, Malkin, or Thornton and I'm not the guy dismissing a career over a bad (goal scoring wise) 42 games.

Quote:
- By mentioning Koivu, you're simply making my point for me. Koivu is a solid playmaking center, and a very good fit for Higgins. That's two things the Rangers DON'T have.
I agree that the Rangers are weak up the middle, but I also think Higgins (and Drury) suffer from the same affliction of pressing too much and simply trying to hard.

Quote:
You get rid of Higgins because you CAN'T get rid of any of the players you mentioned. You get rid of Higgins because he's one of the few players on the team who fit all of the following criteria: not untouchable (like Henk and Gabby), expendable (because we already have several players who offer the same things he does and do them better - Callahan and, before his neutering, Avery), and he actually has some value around the league (unlike Kotalik, Drury, Lisin, Brashear, Rozsival, Redden), although not that much.
Avery and Higgins are completely different players. In any event, my point is WHY do you want to get rid of a guy with little trade value for another guy with little trade value. It's POINTLESS. And Higgins comes off our books at the end of the year if he really turns out to be more useless in the 2nd half of the season. O'Sullivan is a nearly 3 million/year cap hit for another year (2010/11). Why the hell would you want that over Higgins? Cogliano is an RFA at the end of this year and by most measures has regressed in his NHL career - 4 G and 6 A in 43 games for a "speed" team. These players are all so god-damned similar that this entire thread is useless.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote