View Single Post
Old
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
The Flyers have made man moves over the past few years, trading many players and picks. Looking back on these moves, have we mismanaged in the salary cap era? Have we hurt our future in an attempt to win now year after year?

TRADES
Josh Gratton and 2 2nd Round Picks for Denis Gauthier
Joni Pitkanen (former 1st) and Geoff Sanferson for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul
2nd Round Pick for Martin Biron
1st Round Pick for Rights to negotiate with Hartnell and Timonen
1st round Pick for Steve Eminger
Steve Eminger and Steve Downie (former 1st) for Matt Carle
Denis Gauthier and 2nd Round Pick for Patrik Hersley and Ned Lukacevic
Scottie Upshall and 2nd Round Pick for Daniel Carcillo
Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa (former 1st) and two first round draft picks for Chris Pronger

MAJOR FREE AGENTS
Daniel Briere: 8 Years 52 Million
Scott Hartnell: 6 Year 25.2 Million
Kimmo Timonen: 6 Years 37.8 Million

Looking at the trades, the Flyers have made many mistakes. We paid 2 2nd round picks for Gauthier, then paid a 2nd round pick to get rid of him. We gave up a 1st round pick in a deep draft for Eminger, who we soon flipped for Matt Carle but had to give up another former 1st round pick (Steve Downie). They had too give up a 2nd round pick along with Upshall just to get under the salary cap and have the ability to bring up Giroux.

Since 2006 IMO, the Flyers have mismanaged many of there assets, and I wonder/expect to feel the impact of this in the next few years as our prospect pool drys out. We have not replenished the system the way that I feel is neccesary for a NHL team to do in the salary cap era.

I understand that this has been discussed before, and brought up many times, but I just want to get peoples take on how we have managed many of our assets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Josh Gratton and 2 2nd Round Picks for Denis Gauthier
Joni Pitkanen (former 1st) and Geoff Sanferson for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul
1st round Pick for Steve Eminger
Steve Eminger and Steve Downie (former 1st) for Matt Carle
Scottie Upshall and 2nd Round Pick for Daniel Carcillo

Were all gross overpayments. You could even argue that Holmgren overpaid for Pronger, by opting to send Lupul there. I mean, did the Ducks really need a 4+ million dollar Lupul with Selanne on the books, and Ryan looking for a raise? Of course not. He could have saved a first by sending Lupul to the Preds for whatever, and moving the rest for Pronger, since the Ducks were mainly looking for cap-space in the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, you need to sort of include everything because they all play off of one another...and it also establishes a pattern of strengths and weaknesses in Holmgren as a GM.
This thread kinda sucks to be honest. I mean, I am hopped up on cough syrup right now, but it seems so one sided.

Lupul was a lazy overpaid turd, we are lucky to have dumped him to Anaheim. We got Coburn who still has VALUE for freaking Zhitnik. We turned Downie and Eminger into Carle, which worked out really well. Eminger and Downie both suck. Carle is on our first pair and is doing well. I am sick of the Upshall-Carcillo racket. I'm no fan of Carcillo, but whatever. Upshall is only producing with lots of PP time, time he would never get here.

The Jones call up and Gauthier trades were both awful, but it shows that Homer is true to his word, which is something the players respect. In retrospect, when you look at some of these deals years later some are bound to look awful and some are bound to look good.

You can play this stupid guessing game and re-evaluate things all day, but the fact of the matter is 2nd round picks have next to no value in the NHL. The percentage of 2nd rounders who turn into anything is low.

Why dont you guys look up the names of the people drafted with those picks. No great shakes there I bet.

I mean, we should be proud the Flyers are so good at drafting in the later part of the 1st round of the draft, that's incredible.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote