Thread: Rumor: Rangers-Oilers (Cogliano)
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The lack of consistency has been a knock against him almost every season. This isn't an idea started by me.
Maybe last year coming off an injury, but Higgins was a guy that was being groomed by the Canadians to eventually lead the team. Montreal is probably the toughest NHL franchise to play for and certainly the most critical of its players.

Quote:
No, you're the guy judging a career based on nothing but numbers. Higgins wouldn't be the first or the last player to be, as you say, spoon fed goals. It happens all te time. Grinders that are big enough/strong enough/smart enough/fundamentally sound enough to benefit from playing with skill players. Once again, by talking about Koivu's numbers instead of actually discussing his play, you're proving that you don't know what you're talking about. You don't seem to grasp the concept that goals, assists, and points don't tell the entire story about a player. Thus your completely irrelevant comparison of Koivu to Gomez. There are, believe it or not, other factors at play. Again, actually sitting down and watching the games closely might help illuminate that. Besides the fact that Koivu is a much smarter and more efficient player who is also significantly more dependable defensively than Gomez, he's a locker room leader and he doesn't make seven million a year for putting up second-line points. He also happened to be a great fit for Higgins based on their STYLES OF PLAY.
Actually, I'm the guy judging Higgins based on his overall performance. Check my posts on him - I've praised his hard work, excellent PK, etc.... and have equally pointed out that his finishing has been awful. And I'm not the one that wants him gone after 42 games because I have some preconceived notion that he's shot, can't score, and was born to play with Koivu. I think he's got ability and certainly has determination. I don't want him gone for some lateral move and I don't want the hard working members of this team shipped out. His coach has repeatedly lauded all aspects of his game with the exception of finishing and "inconsistent" isn't a word I've heard him use. Regarding Gomez: He was an Alternate captain on a cup winning team and was largely considered one of the leaders on and off the ice (for good or bad) of the Rangers and the Devils. And, listen, why don't you drop the elitist nonsense "maybe if you just watched the game" BS. We can agree to disagree like adults without you insinuating that you're an all knowing hockey mind and the rest of us are just idiots. I guarantee I've watched plenty of hockey and understand the game quite well.

Quote:
Another cliche? And now you're doing it for another player whose struggles and their causes have been well documented. Yeah, Drury is trying too hard. Or maybe it's just that instead of playing with people like Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Briere, Pominville, Campbell, he's now playing with Higgins, Kotalik, Callahan, Avery, etc.
And he still made the U.S. Olympic team? Hrm. What do Brian Burke and Tortorella know that you don't? Must be something - and they've both won Cups. I'll take their word over yours that Drury has a lot to offer, somewhere, to an Olympic team that could've chosen many other Centers that have a lot more points. Weren't stats something you were criticizing me for? Drury - leadership, hard work, PK, face offs. He's not worth 7 million, but the Rangers are a worse team without him and the last couple of years without any of the players that you mentioned above, his numbers were relatively similar on teams that were clearly worse and offensively challenged.

Quote:
Not really. Both are grinders who can't produce offense on their own but are capable of scoring 15-25 goals if they play with skill players for most of the season. Avery has even less skill than Higgins, but his excellent hockey sense more than makes up for that, or at least it did before this season. Seeing as how I don't believe that the Avery of old is gone for good, I'd rather have him than Higgins, who, unlike Avery, can be dealt for something.
Was that Avery who scored and set up another goal tonight in the 1st?

Seriously, though, Avery can't kill penalties. Higgins isn't a pest and doesn't get under the opponents skin. Higgins can't fight. Avery has never scored 20 goals. Avery is a much better skater. I don't think the two are similar. Again, we can agree to disagree.

Quote:
I'm not advocating trading Higgins for O'Sullivan, per se. I'm just advocating trading Higgins, and I've made it pretty clear already as to why. Since this team can't accommodate him with the players he needs to play with to make an impact, they might as well get something for him while they can, because he's pretty much redundant on this roster. How many third line caliber wingers does a team need?
I'm not giving up on a guy after 42 games who's got a one year contract. There's no reason to move him and bring back more salary or a longer deal. Higgins is a top 6 forward for us, if you've been watching. His numbers aren't there but hopefully a goal here and there gets him going again. Anyway, I think this has run its course. /thread.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote