View Single Post
Old
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I am all for the win now school of thought. I know it isn't guaranteed but neither are first round picks. Even if you had three first round picks per year if you look at the drafts, they aren't all home runs. Let's take the Pronger trade for instance. Yes we gave up a lot. And clearly the Cup is not guaranteed this season. But Pronger is a Hall of Famer. Sbisa may be (probably not), and the first rounders may be (but probably not). I would rather have a Hall of Famer who can help us to win now than a bunch of picks that may never turn out to be anything (or even ones that may turn out to be HOF) and a defenseman that will be good and has a chance of being great (but I don't really see that happening). And Lupul was on his way out anyway. Basically what I am saying is that my thinking is like a power hitter in baseball. You are going to sacrifice average and strikeouts, but you are going to clean up on home runs and RBI's. Maybe we don't win a Cup this year or even next, but I would rather see them go for it now rather than sit back and hope their youth will be able to do it five years from now.
So what happens if you shoot your wad, and ice a team like the one we have now?

So not only did they trade away a ton of picks and prospects, but they won't have a Stanley Cup to show for it.

If you're going to grab the golden ring, you'd better have all your ducks in a row, otherwise don't outkick your coverage.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote