Thread: Rumor: Rangers-Oilers (Cogliano)
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
  #114
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This, again, is completely irrelevant. You know, since he was stripped of his 'A' and then later traded.
I guess that makes Marleau and Elias irrelevant, too. They lost letters, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And I've pointed out numerous times that his hard work and excellent PK are redundant on a team with numerous players who work even harder and kill penalties even better.
Drury & Cally. Yes. But those two guys can't kill penalties all time and they've been top 5 in the league all year. That's not something you mess with to make a lateral move and make your PK weaker. It simply doesn't make sense. Higgins is on the 2nd PK unit and not really on the PP. Who is going to fill that role when he's gone? Avery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If you believe his finishing his awful this season, then you must believe he's been a terrible finisher his entire career. I do, which is why I don't think he's a player that the team needs to feel attached to.
No, I just don't believe that he's not a 20 goal scorer. I believe that he can do it again and think you're an absolute tool for calling him a "terrible finisher" his entire career. Matter of fact, I don't think you've watched all that much of Higgins @ MTL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No, you just have a whole different set of preconcieved notions. At least mine are based on the correct analysis.
Is that what you call this? "Correct analysis"? LOL.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No one has disputed that he has ability. He simply doesn't have all that much of it. The fact that he's never been able to consistently (there's that word again) create and convert scoring opportunities largely on his own proves that.
Wingers usually rely on Centers to create opportunities. This is quite normal in hockey in general and in the NHL. Wingers like Gaborik and Jagr aren't the norm. And, for the 4th or 5th time, multiple consecutive 20+ goal seasons = consistency. Thats "correct analysis", not some psuedo-analytical assessment of a guy that you might or might not have seen much of before he became a Ranger. I highly doubt you've spent hours and hours watching Canadian games and Higgins in particular to arrive at your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
When you have a number of hard-working players that all fill the same holes on the roster, even their effort doesn't change the fact that they simply aren't needed.
Look across the river. The Devils don't have their record because they don't have players that work hard - they simply aren't THAT talented to have their best start in franchise history. Their players have roles, fulfill them, and work hard. I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I can see you weren't paying very close attention during those Devil games, either.
Mmmhmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
In this instance, I'm not insinuating anything about "the rest of us," just about you. Plenty of people here who I disagree with. I don't accuse all of them of not knowing what they're talking about. I don't like when people talk out of their ass. Call it a pet peeve. Unfortunately, that kind of thing seems to be on the rise around here lately. It's getting to be a bit of a nuisance. I don't really care if you like me or my manner of posting. You may have watched a lot of hockey, but from reading what you have to say around here, I don't think you understand the game very well at all. And I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have that opinion, no?
Oh, I see, because I disagree with your "correct analysis", I somehow know less about hockey than you do? Ridiculous. You've said absolutely nothing that impresses upon me in any way that you're a student of the game or more knowledgeable than I am. If you did, I'd digress, but I'm not impressed with you whatsoever, either. I'll make sure that instead of being an adult about it and disagreeing with you, I'll point out that you "must not watch hockey much" in every post about you as well. That's fine. I think you talk out of your ass, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
This, yet again, is totally irrelevant. All I said was that "trying too hard" probably isn't why Drury is having trouble putting up numbers offensively. You won't find many people around here that have defended Chris Drury and his value to the team more than I have. I've never said he shouldn't make the Olympic team, I've always been one to promote the fact that Drury is very useful when he isn't scoring. In fact, he's so useful that he just happens to be one of the very same guys that make Higgins expendable.
I was actually disputing the notion that his numbers (this year aside) were similar regardless of who he was playing with. They were. Go back and read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's been on pace to. I bet if Sean Avery played with Saku Koivu, Sean Avery would score at least 17-18 goals.
He's been given quite a few chances on the top line or 2nd line. He's got 5 goals and hasn't created nearly as many opportunities for himself that Higgins has. He's not that type of player. Arguing hypotheticals is pointless because we will never know how many points Avery would have with players playing elsewhere. Doesn't change the fact that he and Higgins aren't the same type of player.

Did you watch the game last night? Higgins can not, CAN NOT, play the way Avery did last night. Period. You sure you watch the games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Then you wouldn't make a very good manager of assets in today's NHL. That's not too big of a knock though, since there are a bunch of guys in the NHL, like Glen Sather, who aren't too good at it yet, either.
I wouldn't want you near the phone to call other GM's either. I'm not impressed with you whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Higgins is a third line player on any team that, like this one, doesn't have the luxury of playing him with the right type of linemates that are conducive to him scoring goals. If he isn't scoring, he fills the same role as the Callahans, Averys, Drurys. Just not as well.
I'm not going to argue that the Rangers don't need a more talented forward on their top 6. They do. They aren't going to get one trading Higgins, who's having an off season, and if his play doesn't improve in the 2nd half then they can go out and buy one over the summer or have the money to sign Girardi. Getting rid of him makes no sense whatsover unless he's part of a package deal with prospects that might not make the team (Sanguinetti, etc...) in the future to bring back a much more talented guy.

(Edit) You know what? Never mind. You're 23. Enough said. You're talking to me about Tony Amonte in '93-94 when I had season tickets and watched the entire season at the Garden and you were, what, 7 or 8? Did you buy the DVD or something? I'm done replying to you. Jesus.


Last edited by haohmaru: 01-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.
haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote