View Single Post
Old
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, I have to think there was a deal to be worked out...I think Holmgren had a standing infatuation with Lupul (I might be remembering this wrong) and Smith is obviously a player you can appreciate. Problem with Smith was he was too far over the hill. In addition, trading Smith was PAINFUL for Edmonton at an emotional level, so I have to think there might have been some more wiggle room there...

Gilbert was also kind of fringe at that point...
You may be right about his infatuation with Lupul, but you also have to look it from the Edmonton's perspective. They were coming off a season where their D was horribly unbalanced. Marc Andre Bergeron was the only puck mover they had and he was ultimately traded to the Isles that year. Many felt their struggles was due to the immobile defense and Lowe's #1 focus was to acquire puck moving defenseman that summer. Gilbert was just a prospect at that point, but he did look good in his stint with the big club and they were in the position where they desperately needed to add.

I agree it was painful for them to deal their captain, but like you said he was over the hill and they needed to get more mobile on defense. I am not sure they would have given up Gilbert especially when it didn't seem like there was a ton of interest in Pitkanen from other teams.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote