View Single Post
Old
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It's been said many times on this board, but Upshall was not going to resign with Philly. If he wanted to, he could have in the offseason I'm sure. But he didn't. A 2nd round pick in 2011 is not going to help this team win probably until about 2014, at the earliest. Carcillo is a player that is helping this team win NOW. What is so hard to understand about that? If the Flyers were a team in a rebuilding mode, I would agree, this would be a terrible trade. But, guess what, the Flyers are a team on the brink of winning it all, so 2011 second round picks are not as valuable as a player that is NHL ready right now. And I know Upshall is obviously a better offensive player than Carcillo, but they are two totally different players in totally different situations, especially considering the Salary Cap.
And here is the issue: We are undervaluing picks, just cause we want to "win now."

Sure, this pick would not help us until 2014. But the picks we have given up for the past 3 years are going to come back to haunt us soon when our prospect system runs dry. These picks would be near NHL ready by next year, but instead, we did not pick them.

And people need to stop saying "Well, they drafted this guy and I would rather have this guy then him."

Our scouting department is alot better then most of these teams, as evidenced by our past draft choices. We would not have taken the same players in these circumstances most likely.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote