View Single Post
Old
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I agree that Timonen is a fair contract, especially when compared to Campbell. But Campbell is a drastic overpayment, so it's not a real good comparison.
...actually it's a perfect comparison as far as the contracts that defenders have been signing. Defensemen get supposedly "ridiculous" contracts each and every season. $6.5M for a first pairing D that has been running one of the best PPs in the league for 2.5 years is pretty good bang for your buck, IMO. Not to mention, prior to this season (now we have Pronger, after all) the team has looked like complete garbage whenever Timonen was out.

Quote:
I base Hartnell being overpaid on his inclusion, almost annually, on several "worst contract" lists.

I'm not saying that he sucks, or doesn't bring a lot to the table, but for a team with the cap issues the Flyers have, that deal is a problematic one.
Please send me a link to someone that included him on such a list after he scored 30 goals last year...

It got chalked up as a terrible contract after his awful start here, but since about January of that year he's been a solid contributor, and does a lot of things (similar to Malone) that 95% of NHL players don't bring to the table in one package. Limited supply equates to high demand...and raises the price.

If you look around the league at guys like Hartnell...they're all getting paid a bit more than their statistical output would suggest they get when compared to others. Of course, most guys potting 25 goals a year don't play with a bur under their saddle anymore.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote