View Single Post
Old
01-11-2010, 11:02 PM
EmptyNetter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall27 View Post
I've been asked to join a beer league team with a few guys I work with. I already play on one team but this is a completely new one, save for a few guys. The problem is we had a pick-up game and these players are FAR AND AWAY better than I am....its not even close.

This is my second season playing (Im 29) and Im just picking up the basics. Im a slightly below average skater and all around average RW. I am by far the worst on this roster. Some of these guys pass harder than I shoot and! My problem is I cant decide if I want to tell the guys "Thanks but No thanks" or try to learn by getting thrown to the wolves. I'm not a quitter but I can hardly keep up with the play and dont wanna be "that guy", but at the same time I like the idea of playing with elite players. Do any of You guys have any experience playing with guys that out class you? I think my best bet is to wait till I develop as a player a little more, then try to play with these guys. I dont want to be the outcast and not feel like Im actually part of the team. What do you think?
I've got a bad feeling about this. . .

It's one thing to play pickup hockey with a bunch of friends who are better than you. It's all fun, some guys can show off while other guys coast and at some point they let the beginners skate end to end with the puck. When you get onto a league team, especially if it's above D level, the lighthearted attitude changes. Some guys will slam their stick for missing a shot on goal. Some may become impatient with you if you keep making the same bad play. And then you've got your opponents to worry about.

Keep in mind that you may be playing non-check hockey but collisions happen. It's much better to be skated into by a D level player than a B level player. It's also easier to block a shot made by a D player than a B player. Trust your gut instincts. Know your limits. And if this is a league you're probably making a commitment to play on this team through the season, come what may. If I were you I'd stay playing on your team and maybe ask the new team if you can skate with them when they practice. The extra skate will do you some good and you won't have to worry about being "that guy" during games when the stakes are higher.

edit: Didn't see the OP's latest post and didn't realize I took so long to type mine.

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 01-11-2010 at 11:11 PM.
EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote