View Single Post
Old
01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, it's remarkable what happens given that coaches do nothing.

We hear conversations about systemic defensive schemes...left-wing lock.

We see consistent breakout schemes being implemented (and working!).

A notable improvement in team-wide discipline.

I mean, hopefully all these things continue, and I do think they're going to need to give some attention to defensive zone play. However, there are notable differences appearing in the team's play and that's with the prospect of the Olympic break a month away which will finally give Laviolette some consistent practices with the majority of the team.
This to me is why I'm not 100% sold. Coburn has been horrendous in his own zone, and last night at the game, there were many shifts where we struggled to get the puck out. More of the run around stuff.

I'd like to add that I think some of that "lack of hockey intelligence" may stem from the lack of discipline over the last couple of years. A guy like Hartnell, for instance, is someone who I think is dumber than a box of rocks, but to his credit, he's made some very smart plays over the last week or two. Maybe he realizes that he's on a short leash and has to keep his head on and play smart if he wants to play at all. Hopefully, that's it.

In particular, though, I've noticed that Coburn and Bartulis play way, way too high in our own zone. At one point last night, they were out past the faceoff circles and there was a Star hanging out ALONE in front of the net. Can't happen. The same was true in the Penguins game, and I know that one of the Pens' goals came when Coburn and Bartulis were way out of position.

I'm happy with the improvements, but the hockey IQ of some of our key players has me worried about the future.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote