View Single Post
Old
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, I meant literal volume of calls...not volume on any one player. A starting player is going to be involved in what, an average of 10 foul calls a game (note: by this I mean an offensive player attacking the rim, etc.)? Basketball officials are making how many foul calls a game on each team? There were 36 combined in the Detroit/Washington game last night (and if FTs are involved, that's essentially awarding points) and that's without factoring in all the other calls officials make that give possession to one or the other team, etc.

In hockey they're making 10 combined "foul" calls, and cannot award possession (only location of draws). So by the very nature of the sport the officials have a more passive role in the game.
I don't know which sport the referees play a greater role in, so I won't disagree with your point. But I don't know that the case you're making for it is sound.

I'm just going to do an anecdotal comparison between your basketball game and the hypothetical hockey game.What is the league average for scoring on a powerplay? Let's say 20 percent to make it easy. Basketball players usually get two foul shots for a foul against them (let's ignore "and 1" situations and three point fouls, let's also assume they hit all of their foul shots even though we know they don't).

So the value of a foul is 2 points, and the value of a power play we'll set at .2 goals. Using your two numbers (36, 10), we should get 2 goals resulting from power plays a game, and 72 points from the free throw line. Those numbers seem high for the free throws and low for the power play goals, but I'll use them. 2 goals should be about 40% of the scoring in a hockey game, and 72 points is about 40% of the scoring in a basketball game (I think the league average is like 95 pts/game right?). My numbers are wonky and imprecise, but it's probably close enough that you could make an argument either way.

I think you might be right about the refs in the NBA having more influence though, simply because of the subjectivity of what a foul is in the NBA. The refs can make it impossible for a team to defend at all if they really want to. In the NHL they can make some iffy calls on stick work or contact in front of the net, but I don't know that they can completely neuter/handcuff a defense the way they can in the NBA.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote