View Single Post
Old
01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I could see all the leagues coming together and creating a European Hockey League. I'm sure all the teams in Finland, Sweden, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Russia are getting tired of losing top notch talent to the NHL and getting nothing in return. They put together a super league and it could really fly. The only thing that I can see hampering something like that is the egos of the leaders of all the hockey nations involved. I have to admit I always wanted to see a European Super League. In terms of clubs like Modo who have small population bases, there's your minor pro clubs right there. It could really work if they wanted to make it work. I figure it would take about 5 to 10 years to get all the logistics and everything running and all the smaller clubs compensated for not being a part of the big league, but damn, it could really work.
Right, but do you want to nix one of the more famous European clubs to create it? How many teams from the SEL would have any interest in the creation of such a league (not many)? How many teams in the various other leagues would be interested? What are the contractual obligations of the various teams? What are the laws within the nation?

It absolutely could work, and even the logistical issues are not that hard...it's the politics and people involved. It's the fact that European sports revolve around national leagues and international competition, not so much the concept of transnational leagues.

I think it would be great if such a league existed and the NHL operated in partnership with it more than in competition, and perhaps as the EU develops further it will become more likely. The problem is going to be that you're going to have to trample on a lot of fans personal attachments, and tradition within those countries to create such a league.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote