View Single Post
Old
01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripler0425 View Post
I just read an article on espn and wanted to get everyone's opinion about this rumor. While it would be great to have another very talented defenseman in Phaneuf who can also hit,but losing Hartnell makes our forwards a little smaller. I like the deal but we need to find someone to replace his size. I was thinking Maroon but he is hurt I believe. I guess JVR would just move up and take his spot along side Carter and Briere.

What Phaneuf could fetch in trade
8:40AM ET
Dion Phaneuf | Flames
Top Email

Dion Phaneuf may have asked for a trade and there may have been some buzz around the league about it.

But both GM Daryl Sutter and Phaneuf denied it.

But here's why he should go, according to The Sporting News: Phaneuf's market value will never be higher, the defense is just fine without him and they need secondary scoring: "Could Phaneuf be parlayed into a Vincent Lecavalier or Jason Spezza? Ilya Kovalchuk would be riskier because he's a pending UFA, but imagine the possibilities."

Phaneuf trade rumors have been in the air for a while, since he was rumored to be going to the Rangers. It's possible he's headed to the Flyersin a trade that involves Scott Hartnell.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors
As much as I may be willing to move Hartnell, Phaneuf would tie WAY to much up on defense. $6.5!

I don't think it would work, but Phanuef would be popular here. That's for sure.

Hartnell and Coburn for Phaneuf and a pick?

We still need to dump salary somewhere. However, Coburn getting a raise to $3 mill would mean Coburn and Hartnell could total $7.25 next year. Phaneuf and Powe is cheaper in comparison ($7.15ish) ... And it gets JVR PP time ...

If you want to move Carle and Hartnell, the deal looks much worse for us, as Carle > Coburn at this point.

With Pronger's cap cut next season, Jones coming off the books, a small increase for Parent = our only worry is in net.

EDIT:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere
Maroon??-Powe-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Carle-Pronger
Phaneuf-Timonen (YES!!!)
Syvret-Bartulis (hardly playing at all)

We would basically be going 1 and 1a with our top 4. Pronger, Timonen and Phaneuf all with over 22 mins a game.

As Pronger ages, Phanuef keeps us going on the backend. Pronger moves to full time 2nd pairing.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 01-14-2010 at 11:56 AM.
IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote