View Single Post
Old
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
I just want to ****ing win in the playoffs, period ... and when the Kovalchuk led Thrashers made the playoffs ... they were unceremoniously swept out of the playoffs the lone time they made it ... he was awful ... 2 points (1g-1a) in 4 games ... if you're the go to A #1 star on your team & the team relies on you to put up points in the playoffs & you put up those kind of numbers in the playoffs ... I don't want him
If you look at the numbers for the rest of the team, it would be pretty easy to see that the biggest reason that team failed in the playoffs is not because Kovalchuk didn't play well, but because they had no business being there in the first place. Take a look at the team's top five scorers from the regular season:

Marian Hossa - 100 points
Slava Kozlov - 80 points
Ilya Kovalchuk - 76 points
Scott Mellanby - 36 points (in 69 games)
Jonathan Sim - 29 points (in 77 games)

I think that disparity speaks for itself.

Their top offensive defenseman was Greg De Vries with 24 points. Hartley was giving power play time to guys who barely even knew what a power play was (the exception being Zhitnik) and the defense was, as has seemingly become tradition in Atlanta, porous all season. The Rangers destroyed that team not because they had better players, only because they actually had a second line that could contribute offensively.

If Buccigross is assuming an extension is in place, I would be all over this deal. We make out like bandits.

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Hörnqvist
Erat-Legwand-Dumont
Sullivan-Goc-Jones
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Bouillon-Franson
Sulzer

Hedberg
Ellis

The goaltending isn't stellar on paper by any means, but both goalies are playing well. If Hamhuis and Klein can just play decent hockey the rest of the season (or maybe we could do something sensible and try Bouillon with Hamhuis), that team could go places.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote