View Single Post
Old
01-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Canadiens Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
If if Dryden never suits up for the Bruins and instead goes the WHA route, which might well have happened, the Bruins would have at least 2 or 3 more cups if the Habs continue with Vachon, rather than go with Dryden. Vachon loses in 71, 73 and 79 IMO and the Bruins are the most likely beneficiaries.

That's the most lopsided in the Habs favour. The trade to get the 1st rounder that became the Lafleur pick was also quite lopsided. I believe they also traded for the pick that became Larry Robinson. Without those three deals by Pollock, there is no late 70's Habs dynasty. He basically dealt for the 3 best players on that team.

The most lopsided that went against the Habs were the Chelios (top 20 d-man all time) and Roy (top 5 goalie all time) deals. You don't trade all time talents at their peaks and expect not to get squashed.
To me the definition of lopsided is acquiring a future Hall of Fame goaltender (Dryden) and having to give up two players that never even played as much as a shift in the National Hockey League.

Of course, this deal worked because Sam Pollock had more patience, and saw the bigger picture much better than his rival general managers. In time, his patience was rewarded. I would argue (as does Dryden himself) that no other general manager at that time would have allowed Dryden to pursue his education, to the point that while he was stopping the Bruins in the spring of 1971, he was also attending McGill Law school.

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote