View Single Post
Old
01-16-2010, 12:32 AM
GNick42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I read that Tommy Gorman deserves major credit for getting some Habs' players war-related day jobs so that they didn't have to go to war, thus keeping the Habs strong. So wouldn't that mean he was there before the war?
Actually it was Frank Selke who started Montreal sponsoring junior clubs. He joined the team immediately following the war. I just read it in Todd Denault's book on Jacques Plante. Talk about luck??

Selke bought idea over from the Leafs organization after a split between him and Conn Smythe. Talk about luck for the Habs?? If Selke and Smythe never have a falling out, Habs dynasties and hockey's greatest franchise never come about. Funny how things work out...Habs rival give them their biggest plus.

Selke wanted junior clubs in all areas of the country. Especially at home. Big gamble for the Habs at the time and big money. But certainly one that paid off handsomely. Selke was also the one who hired a 21 year-old Sam Pollock, because he found him very astute in hockey matters for being so young. Selke's decision would not be a wrong one as Pollock is arguably, one of greatest GMs of all time. Funny how things change they stay the same. Pollock went on to take another major gamble, one that paid off similar to Selke's gamble, trading off his veteran players for draft choices. Under Pollock the Habs were able to capture an amazing 10 more Stanley Cups in his 15 years as GM. A feat I feel will never be matched.

Most of Habs 24 Cups, all boils down to a split back in '46 in the Leafs front office between Selke and Conn Smythe.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote