Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
To Pittsburgh: Alek Stojanov
To Vancouver: Markus Naslund

That was pretty lopsided.
In retrospect, sure...but this was a potential for potential+now trade...Naslund was doing relatively little for Pittsburgh with a stacked top six...and it was the last year of his contract (he was going to be restricted and therefore paid more, a lot more)...the Pens needed toughness and Stojanov was recently like a 7th overall pick (IIRC)...so they made the swap...

Pretty much no matter what, Naslund wasn't part of the Pens future plans...they hoped Stojanov was a late-blooming power forward...the Canucks even let Naslund sit a bit as an RFA before they finally signed him - not that I read a ton into his value from that...but maybe the Canucks weren't immediately sold on him either (there was once talk amongst Penguins fans that Naslund wasn't even given an qualifying offer, but I found a newspaper article a while ago that debunked that)

I believe Stojanov's career was short circuited by a car accident too...which didn't help matters...

I guess there's mildly-elaborate justifications for a lot of trades, but at the time, this wasn't an awful idea for Pittsburgh...when it's said and done, it's a horrific trade for the Pens, as we all well know...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote