View Single Post
Old
01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
DoctorDoak

vCash: 500
Kabanov and Galiev blacklisted for playing in the CHL

Please read the whole post before responding, I realise this is a charged issue. But I think this is a pretty revealing interview that Kirill Kabanov gave the Pipeline Show.

Quote:
During the past two months of inactivity, Kabanov has missed both the Subway Super Series (CHL vs Russia) and the World Junior Championship. I already knew the answer but wanted to hear it from him so I asked: Would he have played in those events for Russia and for coach Vladimir Plyuschev if he could have?
"No. He loves his country, he loves Russia but for him I am like an enemy. He doesn't love me at all right now because he thinks that I ran away from Russia. I've tried to explain to him that I'm not running away from Russia, I'm just running from hockey in Russia. He can't understand this and for sure I can't play [in Moncton] and for the Russian national team."
In December we spoke with Stanislav Galiev, another Russian playing in the QMJHL. Despite a very productive season in Saint John, Galiev was not named to the Russian WJC team either and we asked him if he was surprised by that.
"I never talked to the coach [Plyuschev] of the U20 team. I know that he doesn't like younger guys," said Galiev and then I asked him if he and Kabanov have discussed the situation that they share, both being black-balled for leaving Russia for the CHL. "[Kabanov] told me that the coach said he wouldn't take him because he's young and maybe that's the same thing with me."
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...anov.html#more

I can sort of understand why national team officials resent young players who choose to go elsewhere - you see a similar phenomenon with USA Hockey being reluctant to pick Americans playing in the CHL for the World Juniors (like John Carlson last year). Do you guys have anymore thoughts on this phenomenon, though? I'm not sure playing politics with young athletes' aspirations is necessarily a great idea - it seems to cause a lot of resentment on all sides.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote