View Single Post
Old
01-16-2010, 06:27 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A lot of Montréal fans would watch the game on RDS and Ottawa isn't a really popular team. (For Canadian teams) So, a small percentage of habs fans and Ottawa fans (so will be watching on RDS too) VS the majority of Leaf fans watching the game.
i'd argue but ottawa is technically the smallest market in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
sure but if you add TSN and TSN2 and Leafs TV maybe and the score and sportsnet maybe the numbers get higher for the Leafs. Don't get me wrong I wish I could see more Habs games in HD in TSN or CBC?
You cant do that, because you never have a game simulcast on all those networks.

A national habs game will be broadcast on both CBC and RDS. I'd bet the ratings on those two networks combined would trump the ratings of a leafs game broadcast only on CBC. On the other hand, because RDS is ctvcanwest owned, the ad revenue is split, vs when there is a national Leafs game CBC gets all the ad revenue.

The argument that gets thrown around every year is that: do the leafs draw more on CBC because they are played more or are they played more because they draw more on CBC? Its a good question, and since historically games like the one tonight tend to do very well on CBC, i'd say that it's the former.