View Single Post
Old
01-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Darth Joker

vCash: 500
I know that Eklund has a very bad reputation here, and for good reason, but this particular rumor actually makes some sense.

Consider the following...

1) Montreal is currently a playoff bubble team. It is unlikely that Gainey would be willing to play the role of seller after totally remaking the team in the offseason. It would be pretty much admitting that he screwed up (that's how the media would likely spin it, anyway). Getting a player of Kovalchuk's caliber could potentially salvage the season (i.e. at least secure us a playoff spot).

2) A Top 6 winger with size and a goal scorer's touch is precisely what we need right now. Kovalchuk obviously provides that.

3) Atlanta may or may not be happy with their goaltending situation right now. Hedberg is over 35 and has only played over 60 NHL games one season in his entire career; Pavelec's numbers are a far cry from Halak's. If they're not happy, going for Halak makes sense of course.

4) The Habs have big contracts on D that could make the trade work salary cap wise. A good veteran defenseman or two could help Atlanta's D. Such a defenseman could also be an insurance policy in case of losing Kubina as an UFA in the off-season (unless Kubina signed a contract extension, and I missed it - if so, I stand to be corrected).

5) Dropping a big contract on a long-term for Kovalchuk would enable us to sign Pleks in the off-season... or sign Kovalchuk himself possibly.

So...

A big contract D
A good prospect or young roster player (of which we have many)
Halak
and a pick

for

Kovalchuk
Hedberg

Could be a good trade for Montreal and Atlanta.

Last edited by Darth Joker: 01-17-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote