View Single Post
Old
01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByRitcher35 View Post
The Islanders are turning it around by good drafting. Kyle Okposo is solid, Josh Bailey is playing at a high level right now especially considering his age, and John Tavares is going to be a great NHLer. Maybe they're not Crosby or Ovechkin level, but they are building a solid team through the draft.

I would never want to see the Rangers purposely wind up in last place year after year, but we're stuck in a pattern of mediocrity. Missing the playoffs, year after year, but never by enough to get a first overall, to barely making the playoffs, year after year, and getting kicked out first or second round. We're neither a good team nor a bad team. I'd rather be a bad team for a little while so one day we can actually be a good team. But the Rangers organization will never be patient enough for that.
There have been plenty of teams that have been bad and stayed bad for a while. The magic solution is not to lose and get first overall in a lot of cases.

It has nothing to do with drafting 1st or last. It has do with signing past-their-prime Veterans. Tell me, where we would be right now if we passed on Redden and went after Bouwmeester a year later?

Where would we be if Drury was never signed? Where would we be if we did not sign Rozsival to a 5 year deal?

Drafting has nothing to do with this teams struggles. Its stupid signings. Getting the first pick next year would be great, but as long as Redden, Drury and Rozsival are cloggin up almost 20 million dollars of cap space, we will be mediocre.

As long as nearly half the cap is taken by mediocre players, you will be average to below at best.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote