View Single Post
Old
01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesRLikeWins4Us
2) Trade Cechmanek for another good defenseman. A few names that I thought of were Mike Van Ryn (who I think is a very solid and still young defenseman) **Roman Hamrlik**, and maybe trade him for Colin White and a few other things.

In regards to the draft.. we have to draft a center.
Regarding the two points you made... you have to consider what the other teams needs are when making a trade, and it makes no sense for Florida or New Jersey to trade one of their best dmen for a backup goalie.
There aren't many (if any) teams out there who need Cechmanek. His $3+M pricetag isn't enticing either. There might be some clubs who may consider Cechmanek is a backup/insurance goalie... but with a year remaining on his contract and with what he is earning, we'd be lucky to get a 2nd or even a 3rd round pick for him.

Many of us would like to see the Kings select a great future #1 center, but you have to look at the draft this way; let's say you have the first overall pick, and you have Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, Dany Heatley... all wingers, available to select. The best available center is Ryan Kesler. Do you still go for that center? Of course not. I think that has been the case with the Kings when they ended up making their pick. They would have been fools to pass on Frolov... or Grebeshkov... or Brown... or Tukonen... at the time they were selected. That is what you would call a "no-brainer."

Hopefully in 2005 the Kings have a better shot and opportunity to select that center we have all be wishing for. But if there is a better talent available over the best available center, you are obviously going to make the right choice and select the best available talent.