01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
Lollipops, sunshine and rainbows...

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...376&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he is not worried about any lingering effects of the exchange between team captain Mike Richards and the media, and believes both sides will work through issues themselves.

Things got heated between the two sides following Sunday’s 5-3 loss in Washington when reporters asked Richards about comments he made to The Hockey News, suggesting he didn’t have a very good relationship with the Philadelphia media.

“I’m not concerned at all,” Holmgren said. “I really didn’t know what happened until I talked to Mike on the train on the way home after the game. I talked to him again briefly today.

“I’m not sure the question should have been asked at that time. We’re in a playoff fight here, trying to get in, and we just lost an emotional game. I’m not sure that was the right time for that question to be posed to Mike. None of us had seen the [The Hockey News] article. … just bad timing.”

Asked about what role Richards has with the media, Holmgren said it’s a learning experience.

“He’s the captain of our team,” Holmgren said. “He’s going to be put in the position where he has to answer difficult questions, time to time. I think over the course of time, Mike will get better in dealing with those questions as they come up, whether difficult or easy. He’s an honest, young man and I’m sure he was stating his feelings. I don’t think it’s a big deal.”

Holmgren didn’t directly answer a question as to whether he felt the media has been unfair to the Flyers.

“Professional sports is a tough business,” he said. “You’ve got to be prepared to deal with the good and bad that comes with it. There’s lots of good when the team wins, and sometimes when the team doesn’t win, there’s bad stuff.

“I’m sure I’m not answering your question, but I am doing my best to dance around it.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote