View Single Post
Old
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
I think the team needs to be shaken up as much as anybody, but we don't know what the cost is going to be. A canes fan came in here and said he thought the cost would be high. I'm just not willing to give up Caputi for a guy who could (and likely will due to cap restrictions) walk away in July. The only way I see this working is if management has given up on a highly touted prospect, and they're willing to get him off of the shelf.
Random biased Canes fans don't have any inside information (not only is the "high price" bit pure speculation, it's also without precedent for a scoring winger in his late-thirties at the deadline), and Whitney will not net a player like Caputi. Bank on it.

Quote:
A more subtle approach than trading might be to take away Malkin's 'A'. The same move is working wonders for Patrick Marleau. You can say that Heatley has been the cause of his 'inflated' point total, but Marleau is either at or close to 30 goals (haven't looked in some time). That's not a result of Dany Heatley.

I'd hate to be in Geno's shoes right now. I'm expected to dominate on the ice, score clutch goals, help lead my team, win the scoring race, and then do it all again come playoff time. I don't think I'd be opposed to taking that 'A' off of his chest.

Back on track though, I don't see a need to make a trade. When the team knows it's time to play, they'll play. Yes, we're not playing extremely well, but I think for the first time in the last few years, just steadying the ship is the best course of action.
That's subtle? Uh no, that's an affront to a young player who in his only full year with the "A" won an Art Ross and a Conn Smythe...he's not a captain like Marleau who led a perennial underachiever for 4 years.

Taking away a letter from a star isn't a magic cure-all, and it sure as hell isn't worthwhile relations-wise to take it away from a player who was as successful as anyone could possibly imagine during his one year with it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote