View Single Post
Old
01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
No offense but it wouldn't take anything close to Crosby or Malkin to get Ruutu in a trade... not that it matters because I doubt anyone is asking.

But more to the point, there aren't enough thoroughbreds on your team to acquire either of those guys. Put another way: if your GM suggested we trade either Crosby or Malkin for both E. Staal and Ruutu, Shero wouldn't give it much consideration IMHO... and Staal is a damn good player. Most GMs wouldn't. Those two guys are another echelon up from the best player on your team (Staal), who himself is another echelon up from the rest of your team.
I didn't say anyone was asking. I was saying that it would take a huge overpayment from what you may value him at. He's young, cheap, and provides a lot more then just points for the Canes. He brings physicality up front, something we mostly lack otherwise, he seems to be the key to keeping Pitkanen happy, and he does put up points.

We don't want to try and overpay for Crosby or Malkin. But the point was that in order to get a player explicitly named as a key part of the team we're going to try and build going forward, you're going to have to overpay significantly.

As for Whitney versus Guerin or whoever, Whitney had 77 points last year, good enough for a tie for 22nd in the NHL. Below him were players such as Staal, Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley and Hossa. Guerin had 48 points last year. They're not comparables.

You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote