View Single Post
Old
01-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I didn't say anyone was asking. I was saying that it would take a huge overpayment from what you may value him at. He's young, cheap, and provides a lot more then just points for the Canes. He brings physicality up front, something we mostly lack otherwise, he seems to be the key to keeping Pitkanen happy, and he does put up points.

We don't want to try and overpay for Crosby or Malkin. But the point was that in order to get a player explicitly named as a key part of the team we're going to try and build going forward, you're going to have to overpay significantly.

As for Whitney versus Guerin or whoever, Whitney had 77 points last year, good enough for a tie for 22nd in the NHL. Below him were players such as Staal, Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley and Hossa. Guerin had 48 points last year. They're not comparables.

You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.
We only gave up a bunch of crap for Hossa in hindsight. At the time it was our 1st round pick, our 1st round pick the year before (Espo) A solid 30-40 point 3rd liner (Colby) A bit of an enigma in EC. He had upside because of talent. He lacked heart etc. He's been worthless since.

Anyway, I'd say you'd be very lucky to get a late 1st for Whitney and I'm not 100% sure that will happen either. It could, though. One thing's for sure, He ain't Hossa and he won't get multiple 1st round picks + other things etc.

We traded Mark Recchi to you guys. He had 57 points in 63 games that year for us. Sounds like a similar season to the one Whitney is having and at a similar point of their careers. I thought we could get a 1st for Recchi, but we didn't. We got a 2nd + a couple journeyman minor leaguers. Could be the same for Whitney. We'll see.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote