View Single Post
Old
01-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Personally even though i'd like Niedermayer i'm a little loathe now to go for the rental... moving picks has been a curse of many playoff failing teams and as long as we don't have serious injuries I honestly wouldn't mind the Canucks standing pat this season at the deadline (except maybe something VERY small like a Cullen or someone as a 3rd line center if not expensive).

Shooting for Kovalchuk is also ludicrous, but ya it's mainly due to the cost you mentioned going forward which could be crazy... but who knows?
Yeah I agree that it's best for us to stand pat this season and maybe add a cheap peice or two if possible.

I really like the direction of this team and I honestly believe that the best is yet to come with this new core of players we've got. Gillis can put us in a situation where we can be contenders for the next 3 to 5 years but if you go after a guy like Kovalchuk, empty the cupboard, don't win anything and watch him walk away this summer then it could hurt our teams development down the line.

Not only is our core relatively young but we've still got a nice wave of younger players ready to make an impact in the next 1-3 years.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Grabner-Hodgson-Bernier

That core right there has pretty good potential moving forward and there's still some younger players like Shirokov, Rodin, and Schroeder pushing for spots over the next few seasons.

Defence is pretty much the only position that needs work but if Edler and Ehrhoff can develop into decent top pairing defencemen then it should all work out for us.
Over the next few years we'll have Oberg, Sauve, Connauton, and hopefully Andersson pushing for spots as well. If we can add a couple of top four defencemen to the mix (either UFA or trade) then it could round out our defence pretty nicely.

The key is going to be asset management IMO. We need to make sure we get good value out of guys like Schneider and possibly even Hansen.

If we can add a couple of younger defencemen for those guys and either resign Mitchell or find a decent replacement in the free agent market we can find ourselves looking pretty good over the next few years.

Then again if Gillis feels he's got a good shot at resigning Kovalchuk or if he feels this team has a good shot at winning it all with Kovalchuk this year then it wouldn't surprise me to see him pretty active in the sweepstakes.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote