View Single Post
Old
09-24-2003, 07:18 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Yeah, but you have to admit that 01/02 year was somewhat of an aberration. Missing the playoffs that year had a lot more to do with a Canucks team that got ridiculously hot in the 2nd half and basically took our place than us scoring fewer goals. Actually, you could argue that team was statistically superior to last year's team that made the playoffs rather comfortably (higher winning %, better GF/GA differential)...and with Comrie having his best year to boot. You can say 'no Comrie, no playoffs' and it may be true, but you also have to admit that having a healthy, producing Comrie is no guarantee of playoffs either. He's not the be all and end all of this team, there's others (Smyth, Salo and even Smith) that are just as important if not more so, especially in places that don't show up on a scoring summary.

IMO, this team was hurt more offensively when Ryan Smyth was out of the lineup than when Comrie was. Admittedly the superior season that Marchant had helped during Comrie's absence, but who's to say Horcoff and especially Reasoner couldn't do the same? I can't recall anyone predicting Marchant becoming a 20 goal, 60 point center once he got the first line role...you never know until it happens.

Long story short, I'd rather have Comrie on my team than off it as long as he's healthy with a good attitude, but I don't think we're doomed to failure without him. Weight was a much more key facet of our offense and leadership when he left, and we survived losing him.
Very good post...I agree..This "no Comrie, no playoffs" idea is quite a stretch...The fact is, for the first time in a long time, the Oilers may have players who could pick up the slack...From all accounts, Hemsky is going to have a great year...Assuming he doesn't turn inot Cleary, Isbister, with his play in the preseason will be very good...Horcoff and Resonner will build on last year...Maybe D-vo on the excellent ice of uh, Northlands Colosium will regain is form..That's the difference from when Doug Weight didn't have a contract...Where Weight went, so did the Oilers...Not the same for Comrie...