View Single Post
Old
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Because Whitney has more value. He is going to be part of a bidding war if he is moved. And even that may not be a given, since there was talk earlier this month about the 'Canes talking contract with Whitney.

Remember, Carolina (despite their place in the current standings) isn't one of those teams that's used to going with youth. They'd probably rather do what Philly did a few years ago, take this one-time high draft pick (they want Tyler Seguin, apparently, because of his ties to Karmanos's Plymouth Whalers) and then re-tool quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Whitney situation doesn't go down to the wire, with Carolina attempting to re-sign him all the way to March 3.
The alleged contract talks could be part of the whole bidding war process, though. Canes could just be saying that to drive his value up.

Anyway, I'm not sure he'd be a guy that teams are acquiring for beyond this season anyway, so I'd imagine he will likely go to a contender for a few months and then re-sign in Carolina after the season. Carolina could trade him for a decent pick & prospect and also by trading him make themselves worse down the stretch to help the tanking process and get the highest possible pick in the draft. He then re-signs with them after the season + they'll have around a top 5 pick in the draft + whatever prospects/picks they get for Whitney through trading him. The quick rebuild can be done that way too.

Remember when the Pens did this? Pens were horrible. They traded Mark Recchi and got even worse which helped them secure a top 2 pick in the draft and they got Jordan Staal. They took the 2nd they acquired for Recchi and traded it for nils ekman and then they re-signed Mark Recchi.

My fault, it was Nils Ekman, not Eaton, but still.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 01-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote